- Fry besan on medium heat until very lightly browned. Allow to cool and then sieve to remove lumps.
- In a heavy bottomed pan/wok, mix sugar with 1 cup water and cook until the syrup thickens to "1 string" consistency.
- Continue heating at medium-high, add besan, and stir constantly, to avoid lumps. Continue stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup ghee, stir constantly, and when the flour mixture appears to have absorbed all the ghee, repeat with the remaining ghee in ¼ cup increments, stirring constantly to prevent the mix from sticking to the pan.
- Continue stirring until the mixture starts frothing and separates from the sides of the pan.
- Immediately transfer mixture to a 5" X 8" pan, well greased with ghee. Allow to cool for 3-4 min and then cut to desired size/shape. Remove when completely cooled.
If a softer texture is desired, remove the mixture from heat before it starts frothing.