- 1 banana blossom
- ½ cup grated unsweetened coconut
- 6-8 tsp coconut or canola oil
- ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- 2-4 dried red chili pepper
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp urad dal
- 3-4 sprigs curry leaves
- salt to taste
- Apply oil on hands before you begin, to prevent glue stains on fingers.
- Peel and discard the tough, purple outer layers (called bracts) of the banana blossom. Save the group of long pale yellow/brown flowers under each leaf. Repeat discarding the purple layer and saving the flowers until you reach the white/pale yellow heart.
- Open each flower from the cluster and pull the stem that looks like a match stick and discard it.
- Chop the flower and heart to small pieces and put them in a bowl containing water and a tablespoon of yogurt or turmeric powder, to avoid discoloration.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan, add mustard seeds and cover the pan. When the seeds are done popping, add urad dal, red chili pepper and curry leaves. Stir for 15 sec.
- Add the chopped banana flowers, turmeric powder, salt to taste and 1-2 tablespoons water. Mix well and let cook covered on medium high. Stir occasionally.
- When cooked, add grated coconut, stir well and continue heating for 5-10 minutes, until all water has evaporated.
Post a Comment